A Dreadful Battle Must Ensue

Battle of Bunker Hill

"The Day; perhaps the decisive Day is come on which the fate of America depends. my bursting Heart must find vent at my pen. I have just heard that our dear Friend Dr. Warren is no more but fell gloriously fighting for his Country-saying better to die honourably in the field than ignominiously hang upon the Gallows. great is our Loss. He has distinguished himself in every engagement, by his courage and fortitude, by animating the Soldiers & leading them on by his own example -- a particular account of these dreadful, but I hope Glorious Days will be transmitted you, no doubt in the exactest manner.
The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong -- but the God of Israel is he that giveth strength & power unto his people. Trust in him at all times ye people pour out your hearts before him. God is a refuge for us. --Charlstown is laid in ashes. The Battle began upon our intrenchments upon Bunkers Hill, a Saturday morning about 3 oclock & has not ceased yet & tis now 3 o'clock Sabbeth afternoon."
Abigail Adams, letter to her husband
2 Comments:
If you were born e.g. in Switzerland or Australia, would you love being Swiss/Australian as much as you love being a US American?
Probably. But it's a good question. I've only known a few Swiss nationals but they happily told me about their country and seemed very proud of it. Same thing with Aussies. I was talking to a Syrian man recently and he seemed very pleased when I asked him about his country. He told me about his village and his family and it was clear that he cared very much about his country.
I think we always love "home" wherever that may be and while we often disagree with our government or are ashamed of something in our past (e.g., slavery here in the US), I think national pride is a good thing. It shouldn't, of course, be used as a shield against unpleasant truths about our country or prevent us from being willing to change the things we should change.
Maybe in the end we can never escape instinctive identification with our "tribe". I have the good fortune to be part of a tribe that consists of many nationalities, races and religions.
Post a Comment
<< Home