Monday, July 18, 2005

Nobel Prize Sperm Bank

I thought this was fairly interesting. It's an article about the Nobel Prize Winners Sperm Bank (although that term's misleading). The article's here but I'll quote what I thought was the most interesting part:

"Schulz: You mentioned that part of your own interest in looking into this story was to unpack what it was that was driving this genetic engineering for smarter kids and a smarter race. ... But it seems that you discovered, in looking into this, that Americans seem to value some things as highly as or more highly than intelligence...?

Plotz: That's right. ... the Nobel Prize Sperm Bank ended up without any children of Nobel Prize donors because Robert Graham started out with some Nobel Prize donors in 1980, and then after this bad publicity these Nobelists didn't want to be involved. But he also realized that Nobelists were too old to be good donors. And, more importantly, Nobelists were a product that women didn't exactly want....they were too much brainiac...

I think what we've ended up with has been this consumer revolution in sperm banking, which I get into in the book. It's a situation where women have this expectation of everything. And they want men who combine brains...and height and good health history and good looks. And so there's an intense choosiness."

I don't think it's surprising to find out that women are interested in more than just having the world's smartest child. I did find it surprising that the author calls this "an intense choosiness". He's writing about women who are paying for a product. What would you expect them to order up? Uh, let's see...what do you have in the way of a short, balding, overweight asthmatic on dialysis who didn't make it past the 10th grade and still lives with his mother? Seriously.

4 Comments:

At 7/18/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

HA HA! The person you described sounds a lot like George Costanza from Seinfeld.

 
At 7/18/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

Who would probably not be any prospective mother's first choice! I just thought it was very telling...the intense choosiness remark...and I had a friend who went this route and she had very definite requirements as to the donor, down to hair and eye color (didn't want a red head).

 
At 7/18/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

Well, I suppose if one is paying for a product, one would definitely want value for one's money. This is why there are sperm banks in the first place.

If you wanted to be impregnated by a George C type, you could pretty much get that for free.

I keep thinking there's a "choosey mothers choose Jif" joke in here somewhere.........

 
At 7/18/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

really funny...definitely could get it for free as many times as you wanted I suppose. Of course, genes are a funny thing...I'm not sure you can guarantee that some recessive ones aren't going to pop out and you get some throwback to the Dad's Great Uncle Buck who was a humpback midget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home