Arabs and their honor
Ok, I am agreeing on the "justice" of this (although I am not a fan of the death penalty generally) but what is amazing to me is how some innocent little girl can be brutally raped and slaughtered like this because some MEN feel that their honor has been called into question(in case link doesn't work, three men kidnapped, raped and killed a 6 year old because one of her relatives had an affair with a relative of one of the killers). This is honor?
"Honor killings are committed to avenge a perceived affront to a family's honor, such as an out-of-wedlock relationship or a female relative marrying without her parents' consent."
What is behind all this is some kind of sick notion about women, that they are nothing more than chattel and if you touch one of them without a male family member's permission, some little girl will pay the price. They didn't kidnap a little boy and rape him did they? (not to suggest that this would have been some kind of alternative).
I know, I know, Arab culture, Arab traditions, Arab sensibilities....please, who are we kidding? This is just barbaric and there is no excusing it. So okay, these men have been put to death, I guess that's progess. But how many women are kidnapped, raped, beaten and killed and no one does anything in the so-called Arab world? Because you know, it's an "honor" thing. How come there is never any outrage about this kind of stuff and yet we here in the US are supposed to go around in sackcloth and ashes because less than 10 soldiers abused some prisoners in Iraq? I refuse to act mortified about the actions of a few soldiers when there is such a double standard at work here. We clean up our messes, maybe the Arabs need to start figuring out that they are a couple of centuries behind the curve here when it comes to women and start doing something about it, like join the human race.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home