Sunday, September 04, 2005

Bruno

I watched the movie Hostage last night. It stars Bruce Willis and is based on the Robert Crais novel by the same name. I watched it mostly because Robert Crais is a favorite of mine as is Bruce Willis. I think the novel was better than the movie but I don't bring this up for that reason. This post is about Bruce Willis.

If you're under the age of 40 or so, you might not remember Bruce in his breakout role on "Moonlighting" with Cybill Shepherd. That show was TV at its finest mostly because it was written for adults, well acted and hardly ever pandered to the audience. Anyway, in this series, Bruce played a cynical P.I. who hid his sensitive, emotional side with macho wisecracks.

He used Moonlighting as a springboard to the big screen, most famously in the Die Hard movies. And while he's definitely in the "action star" category --which is where he's had his greatest success-- I think he's actually a pretty good actor and has more talent than others of his generation in the same category, say Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone.

Watching him last night I thought to myself, "Bruno, you're aging well. I hope you keep making movies for awhile longer."

And I also think he's better looking now than back in his Moonlighting days. But then I'm older now, too.

4 Comments:

At 9/04/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

Yeah, I dig Bruce as well. He's certainly one of the more interesting characters in Hollywood and he seems to be an actor that redeems even "bad" movies.

 
At 9/04/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

Plus he's the guy who offered $1Million to anyone who could capture Saddam...of course, the soldiers who actually did it weren't allowed to collect.

 
At 9/05/2005, Blogger Tom Carter said...

Saije, interesting that a friend and I were just talking yesterday about Bruce Willis and "Moonlighting." It really was a great show, among the few that illustrate that TV could really be great if those who control it didn't so often pander to the lowest common denominator.

I also by coincidence saw "The Jackal" again last night, for the third time. What a fantastic villain Bruce can be!

 
At 9/05/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

And it's interesting how he's changed over the years, or seemed to change. I remember after he hit it big there were stories of wild parties, etc., and then he married Demi and that was its own wild ride. Seems like a good guy all around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home