Who are those guys?
I think this is funny although I'm sure not everyone would agree, especially those people who took the time and spent the money to let this poor kid know he wasn't forgotten.
I've been involved in a soldier support site for several months now and awhile back someone posted that this lonely soldier in Afghanistan never got any mail and was really down about it. So of course a few dozen people immediately sent him letters and packages and expressions of support (I was not one of them). But then no one ever heard from him (a little unusual for someone who supposedly wants mail, you'd have thought he'd write back to keep the letters coming) until finally one lady got an email from this guy, all bewildered who said he had no idea why he was suddenly getting all this mail, didn't know who these people were or why they were contacting him. He had asked friends from home (!) if they had ever heard of such a thing and no one knew how his name got on some list somewhere.
It's pretty clear one of his buddys had put his name on the site as a joke, knowing the guy wouldn't know why all these people were trying to cheer him up. So it is funny I think, because I'm sure who ever did it acted just as suprised and puzzled as the soldier, knowing all along what was going on (so ok, I have a weird sense of humor) and it's also touching because it shows how people really do care about the soldiers and will go out of their way to let them know it (even when the soldier isn't necessarily looking for it!).
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home