Saturday, February 26, 2005

Red Sox memories

I watched a DVD of the 2004 Red Sox season this afternoon and it made me smile, just like it does every time I think about it. It's amazing how that happens when so many people would say it is trivial and irrelevant --and maybe they are right with 130,000 American soldiers in Iraq, suicide bombings in Tel Aviv, genocide in Darfur-- but I don't see how it can be trivial or irrelevant when just thinking about this past October makes me happy. And I know I'm not alone. It's amazing how I can talk to someone from home (in this case, meaning all of NE) and all you have to say is "the Red Sox, wow" and instantly a brightness lights up the person's eyes and that spontaneous smile grows and we just look at each other and say, "yeah, those Red Sox. Wasn't that something?" We're not all that hysterically demonstrative, we New Englanders. Because if you're one of us, you don't need lots of silly words. You just look at each other and you know. Yeah, wasn't that something?

I'm happy they won. I'm happy they won the way they did. I won't ever stop thinking it's a really important, special thing. And I know I'm not alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home