Sunday, March 06, 2005

Condi

The new secretary of State has also rushed onto the world stage with force and style, and with the fair wind of the Arab Democratic Spring at her back. Suddenly the controlled, impeccably mannered woman who spent four years ducking into Bush's shadow is drawing every spotlight, black boots and all.

The MSM is talking nice about Condi for now (although it can't help mentioning the black boots. Maybe next time she should wear some mukluks.)

3 Comments:

At 3/06/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Condi Rice gives me chills. She's an obviously brilliant, attractive, and charismatic woman, but I always get the feeling that there's something lurking behind those eyes, that smile...

maybe its just paranoia. Still, the power politics inside the White House are eerily similar to those of a 1950's South American dictatorship.

In any case, I'm glad to see that they seem to have learned their lesson. That is, if they decide to keep at this whole diplomacy thing. I'm cautiously optimistic

 
At 3/06/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

Hmmm, I haven't really looked at her that way. Maybe it's a look of calculation, which wouldn't be surprising. And I suppose there's always been power politics in the WH, just more obvious to us now because the stakes seem so high.

 
At 3/06/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps. I'm just glad that she seems to be actually following through on her statement before her confirmation hearing that, "the time for diplomacy is now." At the time, I rather agreed with Jon Stewart that when she said, "now," what she meant was, "during this confirmation hearing"

While it's true that there have always been power politics in the White House, the Bush Administration takes it to a whole new level. Bush makes it clear who his favored advisors are, and apparantly makes them compete rather vigourously for his favor. He also harbors little tolerance for difference of opinion, which is what saw Colin Powell head for the door.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home