Wednesday, March 02, 2005

More honor killings

In the past four months, six Muslim women living in Berlin have been brutally murdered by family members. Their crime? Trying to break free and live Western lifestyles. Within their communities, the killers are revered as heroes for preserving their family dignity. How can such a horrific and shockingly archaic practice be flourishing in the heart of Europe? The deaths have sparked momentary outrage, but will they change the grim reality for Muslim women?

More on the horror of "honor" killings in Germany. I couldn't help noticing the point made in the article about how Germans have been unwilling to confront this nightmare for fear of being called Nazis again. This is tragic and a horrifying consequence of that dark legacy. Hatred and murder can breed and flourish in Germany today because no one wants to be called a racist.

2 Comments:

At 3/03/2005, Blogger Mike's America said...

Can you believe I had some lefty trying to push the bizarre notion that Bush's Iraq policy had actually oppressed women in Iraq and Afghanistan?

I don't know what that nut would think of the honor killings in Berlin, but somehow I'm sure their conclusion would be that it was somehow Bush's fault.

 
At 3/03/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

I've actually heard Hillary Clinton make the point about how women had it so much better under Saddam. I guess she wasn't thinking about how his sons would grab women off the streets and rape and torture them at will. But at least they didn't have to wear their head scarves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home