Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Arcadia


When we have found all the meanings and lost all the mysteries, we will be alone, on an empty shore.

(Tom Stoppard)

2 Comments:

At 7/14/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

Nice quote.

Awe and wonderment at things we do not understand are as instinsic to man's nature as our need to explain those things. Perhaps it is the tension between these seemingly conflicting tendencies that makes us who we are.

This is a point that I was trying to make to a friend the other day in a discussion of God vs. Science, Belief vs. Knowledge and the value of each in the wholeness of the individual and the culture at large. It was a long discussion that was never quite resolved, but the quote that you posted brought it to mind. In fact, perhaps the lack of resolution to discussions such as this is the whole point.

On the other hand, perhaps it's late and none of this makes any sense..........

 
At 7/14/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

I think it makes sense. I posted that quote because I have been thinking about such things. I think what it means is that if we knew everything, had answered all the questions and solved all the mysteries, it would be the end of us. Wondering about what we don't know and trying to figure it out are largely what keeps us all going. It's our "raison d'etre" in part anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home