You Cannot Understand
from The London Times:
"THE self-confessed killer of Theo van Gogh faced his victim’s mother in an Amsterdam courtroom yesterday and told her that he felt no remorse for his crime. ...
The Islamic radical admitted killing Mr van Gogh, a Dutch film-maker, saying that he had been driven by his religious beliefs and would do the same again. ...
Clutching the Koran and wearing a flowing robe and chequered headscarf, Bouyeri praised Allah and the Prophet Muhammad before admitting the killing. In a chilling insight into his mindset, he told the panel of judges: “I did what I did purely out of my beliefs. I want you to know that I acted out of conviction and not that I took his life because he was Dutch or because I was Moroccan and felt insulted.”
Seven months before his murder Mr van Gogh had produced a film about domestic violence in Islam that had offended many Muslims. Bouyeri insisted: “If I ever get free, I would do it again.”
Speaking in Dutch with a Moroccan accent, he turned to police in the court and said: “I shot to kill and be killed. You cannot understand.”
Some spectators rose to their feet, visibly stunned by his comments. The confession and lack of remorse highlight the worst fears haunting mainstream Dutch society about the seemingly unbridgeable gap between them and some of the alienated Muslim youths growing up in the country. The well-educated Bouyeri, 27, had been a moderate Muslim who was considered reasonably well integrated before becoming radicalised nearly two years ago."
I understand perfectly.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home