Sunday, July 10, 2005

Brothers In Arms

From Boots in Baghdad:

"Tonight I was sitting with an Iraqi soldier when he began telling me about getting shot by an insurgent. He remembered laying on the operating table and the doctor telling him, “When you wake up, you might not have your leg.” He said when he woke up and saw he still had his leg he began to cry. The doctor and the nurse joined him in tears of relief.By the time he had finished another soldier had joined us. They discussed the loved ones they had lost to the insurgency and told me of a more recent attack on some Iraqi soldiers. Then he looked at me and said, “these insurgents worship the same God that I do, they speak the same language that I do. You worship a different God, speak a different language, and come from the other side of the world. Yet, despite our differences you and your friends are here to help me and my family, while these insurgents try to kill me and my family.”

We all sat there silently pondering his statement. I thought of how in a couple months I would be leaving here, traveling thousands of miles away and decades ahead, to a place where freedom and comfort are so constant they are seldom acknowledged. These soldiers and the people they protect will remain here. For them this fight will last many more years. They will all make many more sacrifices. Their faces, their personalities, their stories and their families will stay with me forever."

2 Comments:

At 7/10/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

It's funny that I would read this, because it is somewhat connected to a conversation that I had mere hours ago.

I'm out of town visiting a friend. This evening the inevitable subject of the war came up. I made the case that in my view, it is a worthwhile endeavor. While he tepidly agreed that it may well be, he qualified it by saying that he wouldn't put his life at risk and asked me if I would.

Well, the question is rather moot as I am past the age where I would be considered, even if I volunteered. In view of that it would be easy for me to say "sure I would" without any risk of it ever actually happening.

I read things like this and I am so filled with pride. All of my life I have been hearing about "changing the world", but the world really never changed. Sadly, for me and millions of others, the world really did change on 9/11, and not for the better. Now I see what these people are doing in Iraq, I see a burgeoning democracy whose example is slowly spreading and giving some small measure of hope to others in the region. What it means to me is that they really are changing the world, they're not repeating empty phrases, or wearing ribbons, they are giving real people a chance that they did not have before.

So, would I risk my life in this cause? The question is still moot, but I would like to think that I would though I guess this is something that I will never know. What I do know is that I have an enormous amount of respect for those who have decided in the affirmative and a great deal of gratitude to live in a country that produces such people.

 
At 7/10/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

Like you, I am too old to enlist but I think there are many ways to support the effort, primarily by providing tangible support to the soldiers who are serving in harm's way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home