Monday, July 11, 2005

Countdown


Discovery Posted by Picasa

"For the first time since the Columbia tragedy, NASA's countdown clocks were ticking down the hours, minutes and seconds to launch, heightening the anticipation for a Wednesday liftoff of Discovery."

I was living in Texas when Columbia exploded; the sound woke me up. I didn't know what it was at first and only realized what had happened when about an hour after I got up, I turned on the TV and saw the terrible news.

I had watched the Columbia lift-off a few days before, not because I'm especially interested in that kind of thing but because I grew up during the Apollo years when watching lift-off was something you did and that habit's just stayed with me. Because I had watched the earlier coverage, I knew something about the astronauts aboard Columbia and was aware they were supposed to come back that weekend. It was such a pretty day, too, clear sunny skies, very blue and calm. A terrible thing, I'll never forget it.

I'll be watching this lift-off, too. Fly Safe Discovery!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home