Monday, July 11, 2005

He Should Strap the Belt On Himself...Just Once

"AN Islamic academic who says suicide bombings are justified will preach to young Muslims in London at a conference funded by British taxpayers, The Sun can reveal.
Egyptian-born Prof Tariq Ramadan has been banned from the US for endorsing terrorism. France has also barred him."

The headline is what caught my eye....WHY HERE AND WHY NOW?

I think this is a silly question. Why Here? Because there is apparently an audience for it. Why Now? Because the terrorists are hoping to build on what I'm sure they consider a a nice morning's work. And the question of course presupposes that some other place might be okay, Atlanta possibly, maybe Oslo?, or that the message would be more acceptable in six month's time.

I do not, as a general rule, believe that any person should be prevented from speaking, no matter how foul and depraved the words might be. But that doesn't mean anyone has to show up to listen or be persuaded by anything this man might have to say (or that the government should be sponsoring the event in some way). Freedom to speak is always accompanied by the freedom of everyone else to turn away, to refuse to listen or to speak in opposition. We'll see if that happens...here and now.

2 Comments:

At 7/11/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

I agree. Everyone has the right to speak, as well as the right to turn a deaf ear to these types of repulsive creatures.

But what caught my eye in your post was "France has also barred him."

Barred in France? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that one.

 
At 7/11/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

I think France has tried pretty hard to do something about some of it's nuttier wackos. What success they've had, I couldn't say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home