New Rules for Liberals
I found this via Free Republic. It is published on the website "Dissident Voices". It's the author's NEW RULES FOR LIBERALS.
She's way behind before I get past rule no. 1 because she immediately brings up Hitler. I'm not sure about the Impeachment mentioned in rule no. 2. I am guessing someone is thinking that they can get the Republican controlled House to impeach President Bush. So I think she's right about that being a losing cause.
I am most perplexed by Rule No. 7. If liberals aren't going to effect change by the electoral process, just what could they do? A coup? I'm not seeing that as a successful venture since presumably most liberals are anti-gun while the non-liberals are, well not so anti-gun. Anyway, here they are. NEW RULES FOR LIBERALS (edited by me to fit this space):
1. You can't have it both ways. Stop supporting pro-war candidates, while pretending to be anti-war. That would have been like opposing the invasion of Poland, while voting for Hitler.
2. The campaign for Impeachment has some merit, but it also has a down side. Working toward Impeachment not only trivializes the crimes, but it also places the judgment in the hands of Congress. Congress was complicit in the commission of some of the crimes.
3. Where are the discussions about citizen arrests of the war criminals? To actually pull off a citizen arrest of a high-ranking official would be difficult, if not impossible, but that is not the point. There would be some value in having public discussions on the topic. It would help to open the eyes of the sleeping citizens.
4. Stop the partisan political bashing of individuals...Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rice, Bolton, et al. Even if you got rid of the whole cabal, would it really make a difference? No. The problem is inherent within the system. It is the system that needs to be replaced. When you focus in on the flaws of corrupted individuals, you exonerate the "system".
5. Stop feeling so good about the vigils, marches, protests, etc. They accomplish less than zero because they give the false impression of achieving change.
6. The efforts of counter-recruiting are doomed. The U.S. is now getting disadvantaged recruits from non-industrialized nations. There will always be those who are desperate enough to fall for the recruiters false promises.
7. If you are expecting change to come about through the voting booth, forget it. As stated before, if voting would really bring about change, they wouldn't let you do it. Put your efforts where they will have a greater chance of success. Decide whether you want real change, or just want to have friends in high places. If you want real change, forget partisan politics. It wastes precious time that should be used in a more effective way. Face it, we have two war parties and a gaggle of other parties that will not get off the ground until something big happens. In the meantime, people are dying.
8. Be creative. Think of actions that will bring about real change. Some effective actions are even legal and non-violent.
2 Comments:
My friends and I have a rule about any arguments we have, be they religious, political, social, theological, or simply other: anytime anyone brings up Hitler, they immediately lose. Period.
My friends and I have a similar one. Basically, the arguement ends whenever either side is compared to the Nazi party. Though now that I think about it, we don't find the arguement decided one way or another, simply ended.
Post a Comment
<< Home