Next Stop Vietnam...Uh...Iraq
This is funny. Joan Baez is providing the entertainment at the Cindy Sheehan protest in Crawford, TX. My goodness! Joan Baez. Who's next? Country Joe and the Fish?
Hell No! We Won't Go! Hell No! We Won't Go! Hell No! We Won't Go!
Ok, I know it's not quite the clarion call for civil disobedience as it was during the halycon days when the anti-war movement reached its zenith. There are no draft cards to burn anymore. No reason to head off to Canada to avoid Uncle Sam's dangerous reach. Burning the university's admin building these days would only seem like pointless vandalism. And it's a lot more important to go to class, get good grades and get into a top graduate school than it is to stage a a three day sit-in and risk failing the final exam. Because the only people going off to war now are those who signed up voluntarily.
But the Crawford protestors have their memories...and their music, yes they do.
4 Comments:
People signed up voluntarily, if you stretch the term "voluntarily". The vast majority of US Americans in the military today are people who can choose between $5.15 at McD or join the forces. It's one of the few ways out of the growing ghettos. Just my point of view.
Thank you for your opinion but I think it is somewhat offensive to imply that Americans join the military to get out of the ghetto. I know many bright, educated soldiers who could easily find decent paying jobs in the civilian sector. While there may be some who serve for a financial reason, many more serve as a way to give back to their country.
Marx was wrong. It's not religion that is the opiate of the people. It's naive optimism. Sing your song and let's just see the impact and change it bring. So I'm cynical. I'm also realistic. What's going on in the ditches of Crawford, TX, makes good press on a slow news day but it impacts and changes nothing. Cindy... your 15 seconds are about up. Let's see where all your newfound friends are a week after the cameras have stopped rolling and the media has moved on.
Out of deference to my (kind of) regular readers, I have deleted that extra step.
Post a Comment
<< Home