Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Beauty IS only Skin Deep

From The Guardian:

"A Chinese cosmetics company is using skin harvested from the corpses of executed convicts to develop beauty products for sale in Europe, an investigation by the Guardian has discovered....with European regulations to control cosmetic treatments such as collagen not expected for several years, doctors and politicians say the discovery highlights the dangers faced by the increasing number of Britons seeking to improve their looks. Apart from the ethical concerns, there is also the potential risk of infection."

I'm all for recycling but I think this might be carrying the practice a little too far. And what does it mean: "apart from the ethical concerns?" So it might be okay if there were no risk of infection? Well, then...if we can solve that problem, I see no reason to limit the practice to the corpses of executed convicts. Why not harvest skin from any dead person? Especially for such a noble cause.

Actually my first thought was: I wonder if the convicts sign a release to authorize the harvesting (after they're shot of course) but then when I read further I found that "aborted fetuses" are also being used. I doubt anyone's getting their signatures on a release form.

1 Comments:

At 9/14/2005, Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Eww....

Just ewww...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home