Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Will and Jada are so modern

U.S. actor Will Smith says he and his wife have an agreement that they can have sex with others provided they inform each other first.

This has been commented on by others as disgusting, strange, weird and as symptomatic of how Hollywood is so out of touch that someone like Will Smith probably has no idea how so-called ordinary Americans would react to it. I don't know about that, not knowing Will Smith personally, what he might think anyone else would think of it, nor do I know his wife so have no idea if she really is just fine with this arrangement or not. And I suppose the real point is that Will Smith is some kind of "role model" and what kind of message is this sending, etc.

But that is the point exactly. Why should anyone look up to a Will Smith and want to emulate him? Because he's an actor and has lots of money and hangs out with the beautiful people? And I know the point's been made over and over how young people get the wrong messages from athletes and actors and musicians, that their fame somehow makes what they say and do significant, they should use their status for good and often fail in the effort. But I don't honestly think the basic premise is all that true, that kids always look up to these people and want to be like them.

I think the average kid knows that his life is not ever going to be like a Will Smith's and is able to separate out what someone like this represents from everything else. I think kids are influenced most often by their parents and family, teachers, friends, neighbors, the people they encounter in their everyday life. And let's face it, there are plenty of bad examples in a child's regular circle of adults. So perhaps we should stop worrying about the shoddy behavior of the rich and famous and start thinking about the kind of example being set everyday by the rest of us.

1 Comments:

At 3/04/2005, Blogger Steve said...

Well said! I agree... I've often been perplexed by our obsession with fame, and what the 'famous' people do with their lives. Quite honestly, I don't care what some famous actor does in his or her private life. I really doubt that Hollywood is any more corrupt or hedonistic than anywhere else, it just gets more exposure in the media.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home