Thursday, September 22, 2005

I'm Just Happy

From Reuters:

"Homosexuals, even those who are celibate, will be barred from becoming Roman Catholic priests under stricter rules soon to be released, the New York Times reported on Thursday."

I just don't see how this could really work. What if the prospective priest is ambivalent about his sexuality or just chooses not to reveal it? How will they know? Will there be special tests administered to determine who's straight and who's...not? I wonder.

7 Comments:

At 9/22/2005, Blogger SaffronSaris said...

True, one can never know unless they decide to "come out".
But why should sexual preference be an issue?

 
At 9/23/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely god knows and she will guide the hand of the bishops or popes or whoever makes the call.

But then again, do those who run the catholic church actually believe in god or do they just enjoy the power they get by pretending they do?

 
At 9/24/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

There is a friend of my family who recently entered the priesthood. I'm pretty sure he's gay.

I'm also positive that he's one of the most harmless people I've ever met.

I haven't considered myself a Catholic for at least four years now, and still I feel personally implicated whenever something like this comes up. Like I'm partially responsible or something.

Ridiculous, I know, but I can't seem to shake it. I just don't understand how if one truly believes that all people were created in the image of a loving God, that any lifestyle that one is naturally oriented towards can be seen as heretical.

Furthermore, because of Catholic doctrine that homosexuals must live in celibacy, what other option is there for a faithful gay Catholic than the priesthood?

The way I see it, it just boils down to a pure and simple rejection of one's own humanity. And if anything is a sin, that is.

 
At 9/26/2005, Blogger Me said...

I believe the Catholic leaders would know if you're gay.

It takes one to know one, remember?!

BA~~68

 
At 9/26/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr./Ms. Wombat. your comment comes from the perspective of one who knows everything.

I used to know everything.

The flaws in your line of reasononing are obvious and abundant once you begin to ask questions. I'll get you started.

Should all forms of sexuall expression be accepted by society AS LONG AS THOSE FORMS OF SEXUALL EXPRESSION TRANSPIRE BETWEEN TRULY CONSENTING ADULTS OF SOUND MIND? What about people who express their sexuallity by hurting others, or by allowing themselves to be hurt physically, emotionally or spiritually? What if, at the core of their sexuall proclivities, are events which happened to them in childhood? What if those events have caused them to hate themselves? What if those events have caused them to hate others?

Here's another one.

Should incest be accepted practice? What if it could be shown that incestuous relationships are, and have been relatively common for most of mankinds history? Should incestuous marriages--which most certainly exist in certain cultures-- in modern societies be allowed? Should they be annulled? What if the participants are contented in those relationship? Should incestuous relationships in ancient societies be seen as acceptable for that time and place? if yes why, if no why not?

Where have you chosen to draw your boundaries regarding human behaviours--sexuall or otherwise-- which you are willing to accept? Why?

How can you be so certain that there is NO ideal in terms of human behaviour--sexuall or otherwise-- to which we should all aspire? How do you know all of these things which to me seem, AT BEST, unknowable? Keep in mind, you can't put anything past me. I used to know everything.

I gaurantee that by attempting to answer the above questions, you will only raise more questions.

When you begin to dig, the weaknesses in your cherished belief system are exposed. Are you willing to dig? Are you willing to question your cherished faith?

God--the creator of all things, seen and unseen--once said this to Isaiah: "My thoughts are not your thoughts and my ways are not your ways. As high as the heavens are above the earth, my thoughts are above your thoughts, and my ways are above your ways." God--the creator of all things, seen and unseen--said that.

Maybe you don't know all you think you know.

 
At 9/26/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know about this world, this is something strangeness for me, just wanna say hello saije..thank's for visiting my blog an leaved your comment thank's

 
At 9/27/2005, Blogger jane said...

Isn't it ironic that they ban homosexuals but don't ban pedophiles?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home