Thursday, July 28, 2005

But Will He Be Sensitive Enough?

The University of Washington has appointed a man as chair of its Women Studies department. Not everyone is okay with this; apparently several students wanted a "woman of color or a person of color."

I don't even truly know what "Women Studies" is. I graduated from college (a very fine private university in upstate NY) before there were such things. Presumably the students learn stuff about women. Being one myself, I feel as if I know a lot about that subject already.

I am fairly confident that such a program has its genesis in the so-called "Women's Liberation Movement" of the '60s and '70s. Since the demand for equal treatment is one of the fundamental principles of that movement, I don't suppose anyone can really object to extending such equal treatment to that other gender.

I do find it amusing that some students would have been okay with a man as long as he was a man "of color". It has got to be hard these days, being a white man. Nobody ever identifies with HIS struggle.

2 Comments:

At 7/28/2005, Blogger Dale Weeks said...

I was once a white man in the business world.

Now I'm a 50ish straight male flight attendant-literally a minority within a minority within a minority.

And you know what? I kinda dig it.

 
At 7/28/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

I'm sorry but your story is not compelling enough. You're just another white guy trying to be hip...just kidding. Actually it sounds interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home