H.A.L.
From Reuters:
"After twice receiving a tax bill, an enraged Serb stormed the tax office, started shooting and tried to set the tax chief and the building on fire, Serb media reported on Friday.
Nebojsa Miladinovic, a saw-mill owner in his fifties, tried for days to convince tax officials in the central town of Gornji Milanovac he had paid his 192,200 dinar (1,576 pound) bill. They said he had not, sent the bill again and blocked his bank account.
After arguing his case on Thursday, Miladinovic returned, doused tax chief Gojko Stefanovic and the office files with petrol, shot at computers and yelled "I was ripped off".
While the violence was unnecessary and counter-productive --creating even more problems for this man than the tax bill snafu-- I can certainly understand the frustration. It doesn't matter what the truth is, it only matters what the computer shows. No one listens, no one cares.
3 Comments:
Think of it the other way; if enough people got pissed off enough to do this then the bureaucrats might actually do their jobs correctly in the first place. Nothing like having to take responsibility for their actions to keep the government actually working FOR the people.
Best regards,
M.J. Taylor
Publicist
from Reason to Freedom
http://www.ReasonToFreedom.com/
MJ Taylor:
Sorry, what you are saying sounds a lot like terrorism and anarchy to me.
Dousing people with gasoline, threatening to burn down buildings and expressing one's rage with weapons.....does this not sound familiar?
This type of behavior should be unacceptable, regardless of the circumstances. If the past few years have taught us anything, it is that.
I think I made that point. But his frustration itself is understandable if not the method in which he chose to express it.
This is, of course, the difference. Terrorists use their supposed grievances to justify their terrorism. I tried to make the point that while this man's grievance was understandable his remedy was not. And I might feel that the terrorists had justifiable grievances but for the fact that their remedies are so repugnant. This man didn't kill anyone at least.
Post a Comment
<< Home