Saturday, July 30, 2005

Random Thoughts

1. I can't believe the Red Sox are going to trade Manny Ramirez. It's an insane idea. The only way it would make sense is if they got Vlad Guerrero or Albert Pujols or Derrek Lee, none of whom would ever be available.

2. I've been blurfing lately and while I think a blog is a very personal thing, I don't understand why people are junking them up so much with tons of ads and other stuff. It makes them unreadable for me so I just click on by.

3. Does anyone in the US truly care if President Bush makes a recess appointment of John Bolton to the UN?

4. Unless I stop her, my dog will spend hours in the back yard barking at the neighbor's house. I wonder if my neighbor finds it as annoying as I do. Actually it's the neighbor's fault. She encouraged this behavior when we first moved in by throwing treats over the fence to her.

5. The John Roberts SCOTUS nomination is bumping right along. Hearings are set for the beginning of September. This means several more weeks of hearing about Roe v. Wade. I find it amazing that after 200+ years, the only thing that seems to matter is the Court's decision in that case and whether or not it is likely to be overturned. Or at least that's what one would think given the coverage of the Roberts nomination. It's as if we're stuck in some endlessly circling loop of stuttering repetition.

6. I saw a promo the other day for Geena Davis' new series...Commander in Chief. I will be stunned if that show catches on. Thelma as President? I just can't see it.

6 Comments:

At 7/30/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I heard inklings of Beltran being named in the deal. That's the only way I'd make it. However, last night I was subjected to hours of Ted Sarandis (don't know if you remember him... some loudmouth jerk on the local sports radio). I couldn't really change the channel because I was locked into a two-minute drill getting the apartment below ours ready for occupation the next day. As I was putting my arm through torture trying to get the kitchen floor smooth enough to tile, I heard him say something about how Manny Ramirez is incapable of empathy for the working people of Boston. An interesting statement coming from someone who in the same situation would be hiring cheap immigrant labor to prep a rental place, perhaps from the Dominican Republic (Where Manny Ramirez no doubt grew up dirt poor). The other thing he kept repeating was that the Sox were on the hook for 63 million over the next 3 years of his contract, money that would in theory be freed up to sign other players. However, there's no way we could make use of that money this year, so that's bunk. Trade him in the offseason if you must, but unless we get 100% trade value from him, we don't win the World Series this year, and to get that we'd have to sweeten the pot with prospects from our already weakened farm system. If he wants a trade, we can talk about it when we're not chasing a pennant. Dishing farmhands to get rid of him is unacceptable

 
At 7/30/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

I actually had things to say about your other points, but that comment was running long. Even so I forgot to mention that I personally don't think that the trade will go through.

2. Someone on my bloglist actually has a Cafepress store, with T-shirts and whatnot. I hate Cafepress personally because they won't sell anything for less than 15 dollars, and that 15 dollars all goes to them if that's the price, but whatever.

3. I personally do care if we nominate someone to the UN who has basically said that the UN is our toy and is only useful when it bows to the will of the United States. But then again, I'm a leftist wacko =P

4.Does your neighbor have kids? As an act of retailiation, you could give them a bottle of iced, hyper-sweetened espresso and let them deal with that.

5. There are other issues with him as a judge, its just that Roe v Wade is the one with more money behind it. Personally I think that the whole abortion issue is pretty cut and dry. We define death as the moment the heart stops beating permanently. Does it not make sense then to say that life begins when it starts? The problem is, there are actually women's rights groups that would give me grief for saying that.

6. Maybe its just a gag. Like at the end of the first episode she'll be in the pilot seat of Air Force One, holding hands with her VP sitting next to her, flying at top speed into the stratosphere at a stalling angle.

 
At 7/30/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

Hah! hysterical on that last one. Let's just keep on going...

And since when are baseball players supposed to be able to empathize with anyone as some indication of their value? That's the dumbest point I think I've ever heard anyone make. They are supposed to be able to hit the ball, catch the ball, throw the ball. Oh and run to first base (which Manny admittedly doesn't always put a lot into sometimes).

I'd do the deal if we got Pedro back.

The funniest thing I've seen on some blogs is a PayPal logo for donations. I mean, seriously, I'm going to send money to some blogger? It reminds me of the televangelists always shilling for donations...but at least they promise some kind of divine blessing. I'm not sure what I get from a blogger that I can't get free a whole lot of other places.

I'm under no illusion about my blog. I don't think I'm offering anything people can't find elsewhere in terms of articles, opinions, stuff I find funny and so on. But at least I'm not expecting anyone to pay me for it.

 
At 7/30/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#5 on your list....

THANK YOU!

I thought it was just me stuck in a "Groundhog Day" moment. Reply the same case over and over and over an...

I thought than Roe v. Wade. Thank you for reminding us of that.

That is sarcasm but it is most certainly not directed at you. I agree with your observation 1000%!!

 
At 7/30/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang it! I type too fast and then don't proof read.

I lost part of what I typed somehow. I MEANT to say...

"I thought there was more to the SCOTUS than Roe v. Wade."

[Way to make a good first impression Mark. Shut up. You shut up. Jerk. Loser.]

 
At 7/31/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, Manny's staying, and it looks like Red Sox Nation has his back again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home