Friday, May 06, 2005

Maybe it's Just ME

A Niagara Falls teenager is dead - shot by the pizza deliveryman he allegedly tried to rob. 16-year old Anthony Sheard is the victim of what police are calling a justifiable shooting, and today he was laid to rest. Niagara Falls High School students were allowed time off from classes today to attend the wake and funeral for 16-year old Anthony Sheard.

Ok, so the school did the P.C. thing I guess, letting this kid's friends out of school to wish him well on his journey to the great hereafter. Maybe the fact that he was a gangsta wannabe trying to rob some innocent-but-definitely-not-defenseless pizza deliveryman isn't really relevant to how his friends felt about him...BUT then we have this...

A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a mobile phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

10 days? 10 days? So in Buffalo students are excused from attending class because some kid got himself killed committing a crime while in Atlanta a student gets suspended for 10 days for violating a school rule about cell phones --not a crime, just an internal infraction.

5 Comments:

At 5/07/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

There's an old saying from Soviet Russia that just about anything not mandatory is compulsory, and that the trick is knowing which is which. Our public schools are a lot like Soviet Russia in that respect. The rules, by and large, don't make sense. When I was in 8th grade we were forbidden to carry backpacks from class to class because of the Columbine shootings, apparently out of fear that we could be hiding guns. But that was when those binders with zippers were in vogue, in which one could easily hide a firearm. Not to mention that you don't really need to hide it for long if you plan to kill with it.

 
At 5/07/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

what seems to have gotten him in trouble was his "attitude"...he was obnoxious...duh, he's a TEENAGER...all persons under the age of 25 are by definition snotty brats...oh, uh, wait a minute, well maybe not teenage college students from Boston, no they aren't that way....uh, just high school kids, they're the obnoxious ones, that's what I meant.

 
At 5/07/2005, Blogger Unknown said...

:D No worries, I've still got a bit of obnoxiousness left kicking about. I mean I'm an art school student and a theater geek. Its almost required.

The whole idea of schools being a "constitutional rights stop here" zone has always rankled me. I mean, its compulsory, and the things you got in trouble for were often quite ridiculous. Like once I got in trouble for expressing a negative opinion of a teacher that somehow found its way back to her. Also, in junior high I was considered equally at fault for the shit that this one kid was always giving me because I "acted like I thought I was smarter than him" (this kid was an idiot) I got more trouble for being "obnoxious" about it (read: telling the guidance counsellor that his assesment of the situation was wrong)

sorry to rant on your blog, but my point is that these things tend not to make much sense and expecting schools to follow any kind of logic is like expecting me to become the #1 starting pitcher on the Red Sox and pitch a perfect game against the Orioles.

 
At 5/25/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you even live in Niagara Falls? No. Mind your own business. Do you think any kids really care about the troops in IRAQ? I could care less. We're not saying that what he did was right, why are people taking this the wrong way? We're just mourning a friend, jesus christ! If your friend at work died, wouldn't you want to be allowed a day from work to attend their funeral? Don't forget practically all of the staff of NFHS new Anthony on a personal level, do you think they wouldn't care if he was someone they cared about also? Mind your business, your all a bunch of hypocrates.

 
At 6/24/2005, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

I think you missed my point. I was commenting on the relative behavior of the school administrators. In one case, the school made special arrangements for students, in the other the school punished a student severely for violating a minor school rule (the punishment was later reduced). I specifically said that what Mr. Sheard did during his life was not relevant to how his friends felt about him and the school clearly took that into consideration. In the second situation, the school was not so sympathetic. Why not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home